Blog template Rock the Crossbar: Absolutely Fabregas!

Rock the Crossbar

Tuesday, March 28

Absolutely Fabregas!

How about that then? I have just sat and watched us batter Juventus - they ended with 9 men, they scored no away goals, Vieira was humiliated (he lost a ball to a Pires slide tackle which caused the first goal) and then he got booked and that's his torunament over barring a miracle. Fabregas who was sublime throughout scored one and brilliantly made another. Total class - surely we will make it to the semis as one away goal will end the tie. Seven consecutive clean sheets in Europe without a recognised left back. Eboue and Flamini were superb on the flanks, Reyes saves his best for Europe, Henry jinked and darted around terrorising Juve. Simply another fantastic night and maybe we still have one more European game to host at Highbury after all. Unbelievable and I can honestly say we throughly deserved it, even a third wouldnt have been unfair. Quality football, the highest quality of football against the highest quality of opponent.

6 Comments:

  • I sacrificed watching the game for a job interview. I am not yet certain I made the right choice! This Fabregas guy seems all right. My high school squeeze was called Kristen Fabry, which you will recognize as the anglicized version of Fabregas. I believe once in the late 1980s we used the word "arsenal" in casual conversation (we lived in a Navy town). Finally, I have NEVER been to Turin. You can see how these seemingly disparate elements may have been used to augur a Gunner victory...

    The Swami

    By Blogger Boston Gooner, at 4:49 PM  

  • Ian, you are right - I for the record dont believe we can yet win the CL by any means but I believe we can beat any time in it - but to beat 4 of the best in a row, that I dont believe. My favourite joy today, I rang a good mate who is a big Juve fan who missed the game because of meetings - I called him at half time, said we were down to 10 men and down 3-0. He mocked me senseless. I texted him a few times in the second half and let him think we were losing 6-1. He gets home, catches the least 5 mins of ESPN's Barcelona game and then hears the horror story from Highbury.... Its now an even greater time to be a gooner!

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 5:08 PM  

  • Patrick, I have read your post 7 times and have decided I need to look up what augur means :)

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 5:08 PM  

  • At least Arsenal are doing it playing nice football Ian. And I hear the ambulances in Turin make for excellent chasing material if you are interested.

    By Blogger TheBusbyBoy, at 7:05 PM  

  • I'm very happy for Fabregas. This was Veira's night to show what we've lost in selling him on and boy did it look like good business tonight.

    This was the Veira we indulged in his last two seasons at Highbury, imagining that his success was enough to carry him through invincibly. The Viera that backed down to Keane when the only choice he could make was to slap him and take whatever ban was coming. That moment was quite telling and his decision not to scuffle is why 18-year-old whizkids like Cesc get to own him on nights that count.

    By Blogger gooner71, at 9:53 PM  

  • Agreed Steve - Vieira clearly past it. I listened to Radio 5's build up and they had a candid interview with Lee Dixon who said Vieira himself as admitted that he found the Prem especially hard in his last 2 years and with his ankle and knee pains that he was not coping well in the last 20 mins of games... we saw that again yesterday as he faded fast. Sad in a way as he did give us 9 years and was a legend but in football things change in a hurry.

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home