Blog template Rock the Crossbar: Footy heaven

Rock the Crossbar

Monday, November 20

Footy heaven

So after my moan about FSC last week, i now have a compliment for those who have the total coverage. If you have Direct TV and can watch Setanta and FSC you have the best season ever. I just moved to Maryland and saw an Irish pub that had Setanta, i called them up and said do you show footy, they say yes. I asked them if they showed Setanta Extra (which Arsenal was live on this past Saturday) and they say no, I explain to them they do have it and to turn on channel 670 - low and behold they have a new channel.

I get there Saturday expecting no-one with a clue to be able to work the TV like most footy pubs in America - instead I am greeted by the best sight ever. In front of me is Arsenal on big plasma screen - to my left another screen showing Man United live and to my right a big screen showing Chelsea. All live and the best part is - its me and 2 other lads and they are watching Chelsea on a 4th TV at the other end of the bar. It was my own secret evil command center and I even had a nice Aussie bird waiting on me who brought me a lovely Irish breakfast.

So i now have found the place I will die in - they even do a fun trivia night on Mondays so I am delighted - my ITVN box is broke right now so this is a great alternative. If only we hadnt come up against Shay Given on Saturday who was out of this world to hold us to a draw. Everyone needs to move to Silver Spring, Md - footy heaven awaits. The best part is the ABC channel was hosting some Thanksgiving Parade which i had to cross twice to get there on Saturday; I found myself on one side of the street and had to run across the Redskins marching Band to get into McGintys as kickoff had just started and I was late; wasnt goign to wait 15 minutes for them all to pass. Anyone watching ABC in DC Saturday morning would have been treated to a disrespectful wanker running across the marching band to get to the pub. Love it.

5 Comments:

  • well done Simon. The lack of numbers inside though is a bit worrisome. We have less pubs in Boston today showing matches and you got to think the poor receipts from opening early has something to do with it.

    By Blogger Chris P, at 11:00 AM  

  • Hey Simon - I was watching Sky Sports News over the weekend and I realised that you look and sound exactly like Watform manager Adrian Boothroyd.

    By Blogger TheBusbyBoy, at 11:24 AM  

  • He is very handsome and very astute so you are probably right in thinking that.
    Chris, the good news is the bartenders watch the games and open early as they have a decent downstairs business going on (this place is huge) - i think i am safe!
    John you about over New Years or back in Ireland? I am up that weekend.

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 11:30 AM  

  • Heading home on Dec 26th until Jan 7th.

    For those who have not met Simon in person, this is just uncanny:

    http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/dc/c4/0,,10794~2868444,00.jpg

    Kind of a coincidence too don't you think with Watford being your childhood team and all?

    By Blogger TheBusbyBoy, at 2:55 PM  

  • I'm going to own a place like that in Boston in the next five years. That sounds like heaven...wow! Your post is inspiring me to get off my ass and make it happen. I mean, if no one else is going to do it like THAT in this town, I guess I'll have to...congrats on finding nirvana.

    By Blogger GAC, at 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home