Blog template Rock the Crossbar: England B (Spuds) 1-2 Belamurderers

Rock the Crossbar

Thursday, May 25

England B (Spuds) 1-2 Belamurderers

Just got done watching the B International. Interesting game, quite enjoyable though felt bad laughing at Robert Green and then realising he wont be going to the World Cup. Its one of the all time keeper blunders considering he had been on the pitch only 4 minutes. Thoughts: Michael Carwreck is a lot worse than I thought he was, he couldn't hit a pass tonight, was utterly appalling and a lot in England were calling for him to play for England but this will now be rethought, he needs another game to show if he is any good at this level. Jenas - crap, Dawson - Crap, Defoe - mostly crap. High praise from Burke for Crouch who was brilliant and so was Aaron Lennon, a Spud who actually looked good. Downing for me was pretty disappointing as I was led to believe he is very good on the left, but he is average at this level. Walcott didn't get much time but looks like he needs to assert himself more with his teammates - still what I did see I liked, just hope to see more. All in all not terrible and obviously missing 7 starters in this team. Hungary on Tuesday will be the real game. B International alright, the commentator was a BBC bottom of the barreller, denoted by his annunciation of "Argentinia" Yes there is now an I in it apparently. Also those Belarussians are vicious bastards - some terrible fouls in the second half. Wont have them back for a friendly.

7 Comments:

  • That ref won't be asked back very soon either. Pedantic as hell about every stoppage, missed Owen being offside(good), missed blatent Belarus handball(bad).

    Carrick had a nervy start but I thought he did enough. It was Jenas that I forgot was playing, even after he scored.

    Lennon was very good for the first 15 minutes either half and last 10 of the second. Wolcott is out of his depth. Looked like Freddie Adu out there.

    Hargreaves did ok too, no real complaints.

    Dawson earned his seat in front of the telly this summer. Completely useless on the second goal.

    Crouchy was excellent. Owen and Cashley did enough to allay fitness concerns.

    Poor old Robert Green. Shelled for two consecutive seasons and then this. Scott Carson looked nervy too. Calamity was Calamity.

    I'd say that the main things that came from this is that there is a cavernous gap of quality between Robbo and the second and third choice keepers. Robbo goes down or off and that's going to be a disaster.

    Owen and Cashley are fit. That's good.

    Crouch is mining an excellent vein of form. That's good.

    Lennon showed enough in spells to show that he could be a good change-up to throw on when we're seeking a goal.

    Hargreaves, Carrick, Carra all showed enough to demonstrate that they could deputise for the starting eleven.

    Jenas, Wolcott, Downing showed they could not.

    By Blogger gooner71, at 10:54 PM  

  • "when we're seeking a goal."

    Are you English gooner71? I can't keep up with you lot. Just when I thought I knew where you all were from.

    By Blogger TheBusbyBoy, at 10:59 PM  

  • He did look fast (Walcott) - the foul where Belarus closed the door on him had me laughing. That bastard Defoe wasnt passing to him last night, obviously jealous cos he wont be going to Germany.
    As for Cole, I think he will stay - his agent wants him to leave but I think Cole is happy now. If we do lose him it will be a shame but I think Cliche can do the job behind him with Flamini as emergency utility fill-in.

    Downing/Carrick = lot to prove now. Be much happier when COle and Gerrard are back to sort out those holes.

    burke's England 11:
    Robinson (unless Green makes dramatic recovery, snigger)
    Neville, Rio, Terry, Cole
    Beckham, Gerrard, Lamps, Cole 2,
    Crouch, Owen

    Unfortunately Lennon plays in the Becks position which kills me as I want to see Lennon on more than he will be.

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 10:59 AM  

  • Busby, I'm a Yank but didn't live in the US until I was 18 and going to college here. Dad was US DOD and I grew up in Italy, Germany, and lived in Norfolk from '71-80.

    My missus laughs at my turn of phrase too. "Speaking clock" is her favorite, followed closely by my inquiry about whether she's ever seen Romany people in caravans in the US because they frequently have a whetstone and can sharpen lawnmower blades. That one had everyone rolling about.

    By Blogger gooner71, at 12:57 PM  

  • Wow. Thats a pretty interesting first 18 years then. 7 World Cups between those countries I think.

    Roll on project 2010 and it will be 8 out from those 4 I am sure ;-)

    Off home to Ireland for a week. Will no doubt post from home though.

    By Blogger TheBusbyBoy, at 1:35 PM  

  • I'm a little put off by the negative comments on Carrick - I find him to be quite effective in a number of roles. Hope he gets quality time in Germany. The freeze out on Walcott by Defoe was disgusting. (as for next week in Hartford, go Latvia!)

    By Blogger GAC, at 2:00 PM  

  • Carrick was woefull in that game. looked like he'd never seen a football - could find his arse with both hands.

    By Blogger Rich Hughes, at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home