Blog template Rock the Crossbar: June 12, 2006

Rock the Crossbar

Monday, May 29

June 12, 2006

"All the talking is done. We'll have to step on the field June 12 and show what we're about," U.S. coach Bruce Arena said. Can you feel the momentum building? Can you sense the excitement? I can. It's the same feeling I had when I was outside Hirsch Coliseum in Shreveport (LA) in 1982 waiting in line to see Van Halen for the first time. Or, even better, it's like the anticipation I felt at my first junior prom in high school as my date gazed into my eyes as she walked down the stairs in her new dress (and as her father gave me that "don't touch it" look). Check out this photo and please notice the glory, the brilliance, the passion of Landycakes! I thought the kit looked a bit Costa Rica-ish, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Sure, we dropped a nail-biter to Morocco, but we took care of Venezuela and Latvia in dominating style. I'm so excited about playing the Czech Republic, Italy and Ghana! Who's with me?

6 Comments:

  • I don't think you are serious GAC. While the US played well relatively against Latvia I thought they were total crap against Venezuela, very vunerable against the coutnerattack and sad to see that muppet Ching score.

    Even against Latvia they were not challenged in midfield. Against better players who will boss the midfield it could be very bad for the US.

    Attacking from the flanks the US appears to have a clue but I don't understand while they are not more direct when they have numbers coming down the middle- someone makes a run in and rather than have a go they pass back, settle and then take a lame shot that would never threaten the keeper.

    I actually like the kit, in to retro things but I see what you mean with the sash. Some general in a banana republic might have a slash on their dress uniform.

    By Blogger Chris P, at 12:10 PM  

  • Darn, my sarcasm sniffed out yet again! Donovan is the TRUE carwreck, not Carrick.

    By Blogger GAC, at 12:12 PM  

  • I hated that red kit. It looked like a bowling shirt and I half expected to see Landon's nick-name in script on his upper chest and the name of some propane vendor on the back. And I think even Benjamin Franklin would have said that the coiled "Don't Tread On Me" serpent was a bit ott.

    You look at this squad and you wonder where the goals are coming from-wayward crosses, predicable ball and player movement, and woeful finishing. It's all well and good to have a pretty decent back 4 of Cherundalo, Onyewu, Conrad, and Lewis in front of Keller, but where are the goals going to come from?

    The decision to omit Twellman for Wolff is looking really bad now. Maybe that was the shingles talking.

    By Blogger gooner71, at 9:37 PM  

  • You went to Van Halen in 1982? Christ, lots of old bastards on this blog. I think gooner71 was there with a football rattle.

    By Blogger TheBusbyBoy, at 5:11 PM  

  • I wish. Van Halen came through England twice and both times on a week-night to the Hammersmith Odeon. Couldn't convince me mum to let me stay out late.

    My Dad was the one organizing transport and tickets for the servicemen and kids that wanted to see the games at Wembley so I avoided her curfew on that, but 2 hours there and back to see DLR and co, no chance.

    Saw Rush in '77 for the Parallel Lines tour. And Def Leppard at the Cambridge Corn Palace. Two of them were all under 16 then and they had to wrap up by 10.30pm under some child labor law. Magic.

    By Blogger gooner71, at 8:07 AM  

  • Even worse, I went to Cal Jam 77 outside Los Angeles (I was eleven at the time)! Yeh, how about Heart, Aerosmith and Thin Lizzy headlining??? Sweet. Van Halen in 1982 was choice.

    By Blogger GAC, at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home