Blog template Rock the Crossbar: Steve McLaren's job

Rock the Crossbar

Tuesday, September 4

Steve McLaren's job

I think it is almost certain at this point that England will drop points against Israel and / or Russia and not qualify for Euro 2008. With that we can all say goodbye to Steve McLaren. I for one will not be sad. I hate the way he has that sh&t-eating grin when giving interviews after results that somehow went his way but for which he was really just lucky.

I believe he will try to pressurise unfit players into playing these matches, namely Gerrard and Lampard. While I'm no fan of the England set-up lately composed of big time Charlies who pay lip service to England and care more for their cars, birds and night clubs than playing for country, I think the clubs who pay their salaries should have a say in whether they play. Only the most blinkered supporter would insist England are still going through and it is not worth risking serious long-term injury to try to bail McLaren out. Lampard is apparently out for six weeks but McLaren wants him for next Wednesday. I'm sure someone will cite Ryan Gigg's miraculous healing powers on Thursdays and Fridays after Wednesday Wales international matches and it is a valid point. However, I think the facts may be different here. Plus, Lampard and Gerrard really do not play well together.

6 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Chris P, at 1:57 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Chris P, at 1:59 PM  

  • yeah, I also know it is McClaren.

    By Blogger Chris P, at 2:14 PM  

  • Lovely picture.. cracked me up.
    I will go on record and bravely say we will beat Israel. There is no reason to think so other than sheer force of willpower. Lamps, Gerrard, Rooney and Beckham all out. Crouch suspended. Its going to be a very fledgling team and Hargreaves is a doubt too.
    Gerrard of course might make it and clearly wants to as he realised that Liverpool is a waste of time and he would rather play for a real team next Summer - England. (All Liverpool fans by the way couldn't care less about the national team , check out 606 football phone in and they all bang on about winning a title as they are so locally minded).

    I don't mind McClaren, I think the abuse he gets is unwarranted (see later on in comment), I think booing Lampard is a disgrace and counter productive but Chris is right he cant play with Gerrard and I would have him as sub.

    England's problem is increasingly coming to light in all quarters now in various articles this week: We have very few top class English talents in the Worlds richest league, the Premiership.
    They are priced out of the market by lower league clubs so decent clubs wont take a chance on them - and that's getting away from the talent issue. I was the most talented kid in England for years and I am a lazy left footed sod who just Lee Sharpe's it past people. Talent is scarce and overly expensive. If Platini doesn't help England get a quota system put in by which cubs must field at least 5 English then we will wither and die. No manager can turn that around. The fact we are recalling Heskey shows how limited we are in talent. I am sure people could have done better than McClaren but I am not sure how much especially as Owen was missing most of the time. He erred in dropping Becks but at the time people werent exactly complaining and in the World Cup people werent saying how great Becks was. His other error is in changing systems too much, pick one and stick with it. English folk don’t understand anything that's not a 4-4-2 and never will as that’s what
    they grew up with. Till that changes we just have to play 4-4-2.

    I am encouraged though by Clint Dempsey, I don't rate that American fella at all; and even he scored this weekend despite being rubbish for 90 minutes. All English trainees should watch him and take hope.

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 2:51 PM  

  • PS)THat sounds too much a defense of him, whereas I really think no-one can help England right now...
    I agree we wont qualify and the fella is chopped next May or June.. or this November.

    By Blogger WhatsupWheaton Simon, at 2:52 PM  

  • Dempsey also got the "assist" on the Smertin goal. Not bad value for money on a fantasy basis.

    By Blogger Chris P, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home